Welcome to The Down Syndrome Association Gauteng
People with Down syndrome do not need our pity, they need our support!
In South Africa, Down syndrome is the largest single cause of intellectual disabilities,
affecting 1 in every 500 children born each year.
Down syndrome is not a disease and is not contagious. It is a chromosomal disorder arising at conception. It is no one’s “fault”. It cannot be cured.
Down syndrome causes delays in intellectual development, and also affects physical and cognitive development.
There is a dream inside the heart of every man, woman and child, to be loved and to love.
“We aim to create awareness around abilities rather than disabilities.”
ALONE WE CAN DO SO LITTLE – TOGETHER WE CAN ACHIEVE SO MUCH!
If given appropriate opportunities and support, people with Down syndrome are active members of society. All they ask for, is respect and the chance at the same opportunities. Their faith in humanity is unconditional.
People with Down syndrome can thrive well into their fifties and beyond, facing and mastering many of the challenges we all encounter.
Many people with Down syndrome follow successful careers as actors, models, musicians, sportspeople, IT specialists and motivational speakers, and many are also disability activists in their communities.
21 years after the dawn of democracy South Africa still struggles to build a better society and improved quality of life for all who live in it. While we continue to make steady progress in honouring our constitutional and international obligations in terms of the National Development Plan and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, persons with Down syndrome are still excluded from mainstream society and this adversely affects their rights and freedom.
The finalisation of the White Paper on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities sends a beacon of hope and puts disability in the forefront but we all share a responsibility to work together to build tolerance of differences and wipe out ignorance by joining hands and supporting those, who are most left out!
The Down Syndrome Association Gauteng (TDSAG)
Working to improve the lives of people with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities
- To provide a community support function for parents, families and caregivers of persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
- To create equal and beneficial opportunities for persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities, to enable them to function optimally and to achieve their fullest potential in all spheres of life.
- To formulate and implement internal policy and programmes relating to all matters of Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities, incorporating the participation of people with and affected by Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
- To strive for positive co-operation with other organisations, institutions, government authorities (local, provincial and national), and individuals for the purpose of promoting the interests of the organisation and creating public awareness of persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
- To support research in the field of Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.